Monday, March 25, 2013

Elevator pitch

This week, I'm writing my elevator pitch. I see thousands of examples of pitches on websites, contests that are run for a chance to get your pitch in front of an agent, and see writers all over Twitter freaking out because it's their chance to get an agent or publisher to see that their story is the best.

An elevator pitch is an interesting, thought-provoking, 35-word summary of a novel. Every word counts - that's the mantra that writers the world over repeat as they write, slash, write, delete, write, crumple, rinse, repeat.

I love this challenge. Pithy. Smart. Succinct...If I can effectively convey my novel in 35 words, then I'm on the right path to publication. And publication, for me, isn't about money or fame or glory. It's about someone reading my story, falling in love with the characters as I have, and escaping from her (or his) reality for a few hours in a very hectic world. I want, more than anything, to give readers the happy, full heart I receive when I read the last line of a great story.  

It's me, 35 words, and 10 agents, in two weeks.

I've got this. 

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of writing for print journalism where every space and character counts! Good luck :) - Sean

    ReplyDelete